Tuesday, July 9, 2024

My Favourite Reader

 



A reader can easily say his favourite writer and also his favourite books, but it is difficult on the part of a writer to select one of his favourite readers. Those who read and appreciate his stories, those who come across a story of the writer in a magazine and buy the magazine to read, those who purchase his books; all are dear to a writer. Before internet or mobile phones came to be used, the readers used to write letters if they liked a story. Now they make phone calls or send messages in the WhatsApp. But all the readers do not make a call or send message.  It has also happened, while travelling in a train or bus, in course of chitchatting, the co-passenger, after introduction, say I have read you. Sometimes, he also cites the story he has read. Once a reader posted in my Facebook time line that after she had read a particular story of mine in a magazine, she buys the magazines where my stories are published. A writer does not know the number of the readers those who read his stories. All the known and unknown readers are dear to his heart. How can I, and for that matter, any writer can choose his one favourite reader?

Recently the editor of the Sunday literary magazine of a newspaper has asked me this question.


                                        (Published in Dhwani Pratidhwani)

I shall tell you about a reader I consider him the most favourite:

The Sunday literary page of Sambad had published in 1994 my story, ‘Chenai Hasara Sansar’ (A Smile Makes Life Lovely). Many readers appreciated the story and wrote letters in praise of it. But a reader had written me a different letter that I still remember. I keep his letter, his advice and remarks in my mind when I write anything, even now.

He liked the Sambad story, but he had reservations on one sentence used in the story. His observations: that the sentence neutralizes the emotions the writer intends to create in the story. The writer should not have written that sentence, he said. The story is complete and a success without the sentence. He suggests a writer should consider the effect and implications of a sentence before he uses it in a story or a drama and even in a novel. He wishes me all the best and cautions me saying it’s not enough to write a good story, but it would be great if I continue to write good stories.

I reread the story ‘Chenai Hasara Sansar’ after I had received his letter and found his views correct. I rewrote the story and published it under the caption ‘Poka’ (Worm).

He had not mentioned his name or address in the letter. He addressed me, ‘Dear Writer’ and ended the letter with ‘Yours, A Reader’. I remember the unknown reader when I sit at the table with the pen and paper to write. Sometimes, a reader or a critic says, your stories do not have a single sentence in excess of what is required to tell the story and at that moment, I remember this unknown reader with love and respect.

Thank You

*****

1 comment: